Apple and Google, Playing Nice

I recently bought Google Wi-Fi for my house. I wanted better, faster, and greater coverage, as well as an easier interface to manage my network. I had heard great things about Google Wi-Fi, and with the price for three units down to $264, I decided to finally give it a try. 

With several people in the house at any given moment, I knew there would be some disruption while I installed a new system and decommissioned the old one. I was surprised to completely switch over in just a couple hours, with all three mesh nodes online.

The last thing I needed to get configured was my Apple Time Machine backups. I wasn't worried about this part since the network was up and getting good speeds. However, as I often say, "Inside every small problem is a big problem trying to get out." Let's go back in time just a bit. Prior to setting up Google Wi-Fi, I was using an Apple Time Capsule for my wireless network and as my backup device for Time Machine. I didn't turn it off, so now I have network "A" (Apple), and network "G" (Google). Both are active, but only "G" was getting out to the internet. I have a few Macs in the house which are using the Time Capsule for Time Machine backups, and I very much want to continue doing so. I could set each Mac to use network A. That would work for the backups, but then those machines would not have internet access. What I really needed was to have all devices and Macs using the new "G" network for internet, but also able to see the Time Capsule for backups. How exactly to reach that goal was unclear.

I needed to know which settings to change on my Apple Time Capsule to make this all work. I looked on Google forums, Apple forums, tech blogs, and various support sites, but nothing provided the single answer I was looking for. I applied changes one-at-a-time on my Time Capsule with no success. This is the part of my network switch which took the most time. Finally I found just the right configuration to make everything work. With this configuration, all devices on my network are able to get great Wi-Fi coverage, and the Macs are able to connect to the internet and backup to the Time Capsule with no problem.

Now there is one more problem which this configuration solves. Not only did I upgrade my Wi-Fi network, I also switched to a new internet service provider with higher bandwidth. Before the technician left, I plugged my computer directly into the modem. I connected to the internet and ran a speed test. I was getting the bandwidth I signed-up for, 150Mbps. That was enough for me to know that the service was working and the speed was good. After the tech left, I then disconnected the ethernet cable between my computer and the modem. I connected the Google Wi-Fi base to the modem via ethernet cable. After a few seconds, my computer could see my Wi-Fi network "G" - good. I could connect to the internet - good. I ran a speed test, but this time was only getting a small fraction of the bandwidth I was supposed to get - not good.

Once again, I went through the process of checking cables, reviewing settings, cycling equipment off and on, and clearing browser cache among other things. I finally found the problem. You see, for the longest time - before I switched ISPs - I had my VoIP router connected to the modem, and then my Wi-Fi base station connected to the VoIP router. I did this long ago, because when I first got VoIP, that was the only way I could get my network to work and use VoIP together. Since that time, I never had a need to question that configuration because it worked. However, things were just not right this time, so I tried connecting my Google Wi-Fi to the modem, then the Time Capsule to the Google base, and then the VoIP router to one of the open ethernet ports on the Time Capsule. Now, VoIP was working, and using any device, I was getting the same bandwidth I was seeing when I only had one computer connected directly to the modem - very good.

After using several different sites to confirm my bandwidth, I tested my network using the Google Wi-Fi app, and that too looked good.

To make a long story short, and hopefully provide a simple, straightforward answer to others who have been as perplexed by this problem as I have been, here is a network diagram, and also settings for the Apple Time Capsule. 

Happy networking!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's end the archaic management of time

Product support - not supported

Watching and waiting for the competition