Pursuing Truth

 I was working in the lab recently. I took a blood sample, to examine at it under the microscope. I had done this before, but it still fascinates me to see my own blood cells up close, in such great detail. I saw hundreds of red blood cells, many white blood cells, and I think I even saw some platelets. I have a camera connected to my microscope, and took a picture of the cells. I then used a measuring tool in the program to measure the width of the red and white blood cells. I added notes to the image to record details including what the image was, the date, and magnification. It looked good, and I saved the image.

I then thought to myself, "Are my measurements correct?" Of course I am the only one who would likely ever see the image and measurements, but I was curious to see if my measurements were consistent with documented and accepted data. After doing some research, and looking at information from multiple sources, it looked as though my measurements were off by a significant amount. This either meant that my blood cells were much larger than the average person, or - more likely - my measurements were incorrect.

I repeated the process again by placing the slide under the microscope, using one objective at a time, deciding on a good sample, and taking a snapshot. Before I did that, I noticed that the magnification selected in the software did not match the magnification of the microscope. That must have been how I got the incorrect measurements with the last image. I had done this so many times before that in my excitement, I missed a step. This time, I made sure the magnifications matched, I took another measurement of the cells, and found that my observations were in-line with the norm.

To the casual observer, none of this matters. To me, I would not be able to sleep having knowingly documented something - anything -  inaccurately and did not correct it. To me, the pursuit of truth is a journey which takes me to a better place with each step. The alternative leads to a place of ignorance, and that is not a place I want to visit.

Here is the second (corrected) image:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's end the archaic management of time

Product support - not supported

Watching and waiting for the competition